Tuesday 11 March 2008

Day 4: 16:31

The swelling has definitely gone down quite a bit. I know this because I managed to clean my teeth almost-properly this morning, and more importantly, can now just about see into the back of my mouth. I've found the source of that bizarre pain in my cheek. It's because the surgeon, for some reason best known to himself, STITCHED MY CHEEK TO THE EXTRACTION SITE. I'm not kidding. As well as stitching the gums back together, he has stitched my cheeks to them. So the only mystery really is why the left side hurts so much more than the right.

This is what I look like today:



Not really looking my best, or at least so I would like to think. Actually, since this has been taken at a slight angle from the less-swollen side, I look almost normal. But I'm usually hotter than this. Honest. Anyway, never mind that - who wants to see something really gross? You do? Good!



That's my bottom left. Not a great photo, but it was the best I could do. See that spidery black thing at the back? That's where my cheek is sewn to my gum.

9 comments:

Stew said...

Ask a silly question and all that... but have you phoned the dentist/NHS direct to confirm whether this is par for the course or if there's been a mistake. Agatha...

Admin said...

I'm sure it's not a mistake...it's been done very neatly on both sides.

ATVOAK1 said...

Did the cheek stitched to gum problem go away for you?


I have the same thing going on.
Wisdom Teeth Removed.
My cheek is stitched to my gum, feels weird. Feel pulling when I open my mouth and even looks like they pulled my cheek in and stitched it.

Doc tried to tell me that it only looked that way because it was swollen.

Anonymous said...

OMGGGGG yesterday i got my wisdom tooth removed adn the doctor surgeon sewn my cheek to my gum i foudn it today wias like wtf is this weird thing in my mouth and iw as liek wtf my CHEEK i tihnk tis part of it adn im liek wtf does taht do!!!? stuop it form bleeding on teh side? i hate it

Unknown said...

Fairly standard practice, stops you opening your mouth too much and protects the removal site, when the stitches disolve it will be fine.

Jesse said...

Based on what I saw, the stitches are neatly done and maybe after a week or two, it will dissolve. When I first had my wisdom tooth extracted, I was totally excited, due to the fact that every waking moment of my life with them, the pain really nags me. After being sick and tired of the nagging pain, I had a check-up by the Myrtle Beach dentists to see if it is ideal to get it extracted as soon as possible.

Few weeks after the extraction of my wisdom tooth, I've consulted the dentists (Myrtle Beach clinic) to see if there was no problem on the procedure, and there was none.

parminidez said...

I had a lower molar pulled, and my swollen gums around the extraction site butted up against the wall of my cheek. As I ran my tongue down the inside of my cheek and encountered the swollen gums, it felt like the lump was in my cheek. It was a misperception, a tactile illusion if you will. I couldn't believe I had made such a mistake. I wondered if anyone else had. I searched the Internet and came across your blog. I cannot see the black spidery thing in the picture you posted. Do you think it was possible that you were mistaken about the oral surgeon stitching your cheek to you gum? Do you think it's possible that the stitches were at the bottom of your gum and that you misperceived them as being in your cheek? This is a serious question. I would like to find out if anyone else has had a similar misperception as mine.

Jamie said...

parminidez - I have the same thing with my wisdom teeth removal. If I run my tongue along the gums it feels like the stitches are in my cheek but if I move my finger back there I find that it's just an illusion.

Charles C Hagaman said...

Learn everything you need to know about Wisdom Tooth Pain in Jaw. If you are suffering from Wisdom Tooth Pain in Jaw, then this guide will help you overcome the jaw pain by recommending you various tips & remedies that are helpful in Wisdom Tooth Pain in Jaw wisdom tooth pain in jaw