Sunday 9 March 2008

Day 2: Houston, we may or may not have a problem

NHS Direct called me back at about 3.30am, asked me a few questions ("Do you have bloody stools?" Why would I when I'd only just swallowed it an hour ago?) and said that hopefully the gauze pad would make its way through my system without causing any problems, but that if I had ANY abdominal pain I was to take myself to A&E immediately, where they would take an x-ray to find out where it was stuck and probably operate to remove it. Obviously I hope that this does not happen. Even the x-ray is likely to be an unpleasant experience. Oh, and also, guess what! I have to dissect everything that comes out of my arse until I find it. I can't tell you how much fun this is. And again, if it hasn't turned up in two weeks, it's off to the hospital for a barium x-ray. I'd like to think that I made their night shift - there was a lot of giggling going on at the other end of the line. Not that they're in any way unprofessional - I have only good things to say about NHS Direct, and I was already laughing at myself by this point so it was clearly ok for them to join in.

Speaking of my digestive system, I managed to eat this morning for the first time since Friday. I had some plain yoghurt, which I ate very slowly and carefully with a teaspoon, and then totally pushed the boat out and had some blueberry ice cream, which again took me half an hour to eat a very modest portion.

I am in much, much less pain today. I don't have the gauze pads in any more (in fact, I'm not sure if I ever want to see another one of those!) and am just about getting used to the sensation of my cheeks being sucked in over the sockets. I think most of the pain yesterday was caused by not having formed blood clots yet - since I had had to have my jaw broken to get the offending teeth out, I effectively had two open fractures in my mouth. Although I feel much better, I look worse. The swelling is quite alarming.

Today, I have to rinse the extraction sites with warm salt water every two hours. I've already done this and it's not uncomfortable at all.